Virtual work experience: our mega list of resources
Check out this list of resources made for World Youth Skills Day. It's perfect for young people who might be missing out on work experience due to lockdown.
This week, the council’s Employment Pathways Team would normally host more than 35 year 10 students from across Croydon schools as part of our annual school work experience programme. These students would gain an insight into the world of work in a council setting. It’s fantastic to see the students come to us as shy teens and leave with a greater sense of self and understanding of the wide range of career opportunities available to them.
From accountants to surveyors, from youth workers to social workers, from caretakers to gardeners, there’s a career pathway with us for many of our residents. Growing our own talent is hugely important to us and supporting our residents into employment pathways, including our own apprenticeship scheme, is a fundamental part of our workforce development.
But in the current climate, with many of our staff working remotely, it’s not been possible to offer the usual physical work experience opportunities and we know that businesses across the borough are struggling to provide them too. We were so disappointed to have to cancel the work experience programme, but health and safety must come first.
So, the team has put together a list of resources for students, teachers and parents of online virtual work experience opportunities and wider platforms that students can access online from home or in the classroom to learn more about different careers and options post-16.
Locally, many of our local training providers have also hosted virtual open events. Check them out:
You should also check out our borough post 16 prospectus, register with our job brokerage service at Croydon Works for local job opportunities and visit the council’s website for more information about the Croydon Apprenticeship Academy
Please feel free to contact me with any other suggestions. Just comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Virtual work experience resources
- softer skills employers are looking for
- interactive tools, films and activities available for age 14+
- Spin the Wheel to identify your strengths and reflect not only your skills, but your interests and personality traits, and how to develop them further to support your future
- watch a virtual work experience opportunity (Freeformers)
- a charity which aims to give state school students the same access to top jobs and networks as those from fee-paying schools, despite the lockdown
- offers a virtual work experience programme
- an open-access platform designed to unlock exciting careers for students
- Virtual Work Experience Programs built and endorsed by leading companies
- a series of resources and tasks designed to simulate the real-world experience of starting a career
- a live online channel creating real-life encounters with the world of work to inspire young people about their futures
- won Careers Provider of the Year at the annual Careers Excellence Awards
- some great videos of Health services, construction and piloting
- the UK’s leading resource for career-conscious students seeking work experience
- a virtual experience designed to equip students with all the soft skills they need to slot into the workplace
- broken down into 3 different modules – Wellbeing and Resilience Under Lockdown, Virtual First Impressions and Remote Networking
- help to plan your career, get a job and succeed at work with free and interactive training
- offers a careers planner questionnaire and a jobs match service to inspire students
- info on virtual work experience opportunities and lists some of the companies able to provide it
- guide for students on the dos and don’ts of the application processes
- uses the power of personal stories to inform and inspire young people’s career choices.
- features over 1000 videos of real people talking about their careers
- careers information and tools for 11 to 19 year olds, all in one place
- Stacey takes five 16 to 18 year olds into industries crying out for young workers to give them the ultimate work experience
- Rhod tries out different work experience opportunities in Wales
- take a virtual tour around BT, Ipswich Building Society, Ipswich Town Football Club, Moragn Sindall Construction, Suffolk County Council to get an idea of what it’s like to work in these industries
- virtual work experience for those looking to apply to medical school
- explores the roles and skill sets of six different medical specialists, and considers some of the challenges and wider issues doctors face
- an alternative to work experience for aspiring medics aged 16 and over, who are living in the UK
- a free interactive video platform providing insights into the role of a GP and the wider primary care team
- a careers podcast for teachers and young people’s influencers with a spotlight on STEM careers in the UK
- each episode showcases real people that work in STEM and also volunteer in schools to inspire and inform young people
- careers advice and support for young people
- resources for young people interested in a career in finance
- a week of virtual work experience activities which took place in May 2020 – register for future events
- career advice and free online courses from some of the world’s top universities and organisations
- helping young people explore the world of STEM with resources and practical ideas for home activities
- sign up for mock interviews
- work experience programme for people interested in architecture and design